Nuffnang Ads

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Refreshing Calamansi Drink

We have a calamansi tree in our backyard.  For the past 3 months, we have been blessed with abundance of calamansi fruit.  So as not to waste this blessing, we have been enjoying cool calamansi juice (waste not, want not).  Everyday, I would pick 20 pieces of the fruit to make it into a juice (sort of a local version of a lemonade).  This juice serves as a good source of vitamin C.

I want to share my recipe for this beverage ...

To make 2 liters of calamansi juice you would need (you can add or lessen depending on your taste):

Around 20-25 pieces of calamansi



Muscovado sugar (I also mixed in brown sugar cause I'm crazy like that, ratio is 4 tablespoons of muscovado sugar to 1-1/2 tablespoons brown sugar) and honey (2 teaspoons) as sweetener - again depending on your taste.  I want mine sweet to counteract the tanginess/acidity of the calamansi juice.

Muscovado sugar - is a type of unrefined brown sugar with a strong molasses flavor.  Also known as Barbados sugar, molasses sugar or moist sugar, muscovado is a very dark brown and slightly coarser and stickier than most brown sugars.  Muscovado takes its flavor and color from its source, sugarcane juice.  It offers good resistance to high temperatures and has a reasonably long shelf life.  Muscovado sugar has 11 calories/4 grams, nutritionally richer than refined sugar and retains most of its minerals inherent in sugarcane juice (source wikipedia)



For me, I find it easier to use a 2-liter jug of (cold) water so that i will just squeeze the calamansi juice in it (use a strainer to strain out the seeds) and dump all the sugar and honey, then give it a shake and you're good to go.




Sometimes, I leave the jug in the freezer for about an hour so that you can truly enjoy a cool, refreshing drink.


Perfect for warm, humid days.  Enjoy!!!

6 comments:

Kristine Omaan said...

I need this! The warm kind. Paos na naman aketch!:)

Kittykatmiyaw said...

Sis try ginger ale mas effective (at least for me).

Monika De Veas said...

This looks so refreshing. Calamansi juice is one of my favorites but I have never tried it with honey or muscovado sugar. Great idea! :)

www.momgonevain.blogspot.com

Sally Mae said...

sarap naman sis!buti sanyo libre lang :)

http://thebudgetfashionseeker.blogspot.com

Kittykatmiyaw said...

Thanks for your comments lovelies!

CarmisCaprice said...

Sooo refreshing! I think I need an ice cold glass too! ( inggit much)

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts DIVAS!