Nuffnang Ads

Monday, August 5, 2013

Easy Shrimps

Weekends (Sunday and Monday for us) in our household are laid back, lazy days.  It’s also the time when I cook and experiment in the kitchen.  I try to come up with recipes that are easy on the budget and not time consuming as it means more fun enjoyable time with Jellybelly.  Besides, Sunday means rest day (day off) for Manang Version 2010, so nobody would help me around the kitchen as I hate chopping, peeling, etc.

I have a picky eater here (ahem, Jellybelly).  I love to eat fish, seafood and vegetables while Jellybelly is a meat lover.  He also likes seafood like shrimps, oysters, some fish, crabs, etc. cooked in a certain way – steamed, fried or broiled.  There are also vegetables he won’t eat.  So, I try very hard to incorporate those veggies he likes in the foods I cook.  It’s very challenging!  He’s like a kid, really.

It’s so nice that I chance upon a very, very simple free cookbook from Mama Sita when I bought their oyster sauce.  Yey, for freebies.  What’s good about the cookbook is that there are a few recipes that even a newbie can try.


Dish for the weekend, looks easy and promising.  You can find it also here .


I had to improvise though.  I didn't have annatto powder so I omitted that, didn't have siling labuyo, so I used Sriracha Rooster hot sauce (you can see the hot sauce here), and I only used half a kilo of shrimps since it will be just Jellybelly and me will only have it for lunch.  To add more flavor, I sauteed the shrimps in garlic and onion.


Of course, had to use Mama Sita Barbeque marinade, but only used 1/4 cup of it and added water to dilute (I had to watch my sodium/salt intake).

 

Before turning off the heat, I added leeks and bean sprouts.


This was served with steaming brown rice, and it turned out to be a very yummy, savory, sweet dish that Jellybelly craved for more.  With a little tweaking here and there, I have again successfully incorporated what he likes in a simple dish that's easy to prepare.  I will be including this in our menu from now on.  Thumbs up for my other mama, Mama Sita, hehe.

14 comments:

Adrianne Grace said...

Wow! It looks delicious sis!! Too bad, I have an allergy in seafoods. Hanggang tingin na lang ako..:)

Kittykatmiyaw said...

Ay sayang, hehe. You can try naman with beef, pork or chicken, yields the same taste.

Sally Mae said...

thanks for giving me an idea! bean sprout is one of the things I love cooking with oyster sauce but I only use tofu with it. I'll try this when I have time to cook again. good day!

Kittykatmiyaw said...

Try it with barbeque marinade :)

Kristine Omaan said...

I bought a bottle of Mama sita oyster sauce last weekend but I didnt got a free recipe book.:(

Im sure this is delish!

Shayne said...

nakakagutom :S i love shrimp pa naman kahit na they are hard to eat :D

Kittykatmiyaw said...

Mommy K, they have a website. You can see the recipes there.

http://www.msita.com/mixes.htm

Kittykatmiyaw said...

Yes Sis Shayne, its very messy pa. Ako pa naghihimay for Jellybelly ;)

Shee of My Dolce Vita said...

Oh my goodness, that looks so gooooood!
I want to make garlic-butter prawns with taugi!!! xx

Belated Bloomer said...

Looks delicious! I also use "shortcuts" like that ready-marinade when I cook...hehe. :)

Abi
http://thebelatedbloomer.blogspot.com

Kittykatmiyaw said...

Sis Shee, I've tried marinating with Mama Sita BBQ mix the shrimps before frying them in garlic butter, so delicious!

Kittykatmiyaw said...

Thanks sis Abi! Yes, shortcuts make our life easier, hehe.

blackshirt13 said...

Nice! I have never thought of using barbecue marinade for shrimps, but now that I think about it, I think it would indeed make a good combination. Good thing we have a bottle of the stuff at home. Will try this next time we buy shrimps. Thanks for sharing! :)

Kittykatmiyaw said...

Sige sis, let me know how it turned out ha!

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts DIVAS!