Nuffnang Ads

Thursday, August 15, 2013

No Cook Congee

It was raining one time, Jellybelly wanted me to cook congee.  Who wouldn't want congee or anything soupy on cold damp weather right?  Something to warm the tummy.  I was feeling lazy that time (who wouldn't want to snuggle under the covers when it's raining!) and being the lazy cook that I am, I thought hard and went into our mini pantry.

So here's what I've come up:

Instant Oatmeal - yes, the "just pour hot water" type - around 5-6 tablespoons


Ginger, egg, scallions, fried garlic/garlic chips and any other toppings you want hmm - chicharon - which I've omitted.  


So, once you have all of that prepared, just combine the ginger and oatmeal in a bowl.


Pour hot water and cover.  Consistency of the porridge depends on how soupy you want it to be, you can add more hot water or if you want it thick just put less water.  Wait for 3 minutes.


Put all the toppings.  Flavor with salt or fish sauce and a dash of pepper.


So easy right?  Serve with a smile!


15 comments:

Kristine Omaan said...

I eat that kind of oatmeal too. Perfect for the lazy cook in me. Just didnt realize you can add eggs,garlic,etc to make it savory. I just eat it with honey and milk. This is a great idea,sis! Original recipe mo ba 'to?Just perfect for a rainy evening.:)

Kittykat Miyaw said...

I do keep a stock of oatmeal in the pantry as my doctor told me to lose weight, so i try to replace one meal with it. I eat it with bananas, raisins, honey, cocoa, etc. As for the congee, this was really a spur of the moment improvisation, good thing it turned out great.

Shayne said...

ooo i didnt know you could do this pala ^^ i bookmarked this post and will try it sometime :)

Shee of My Dolce Vita said...

Awesome idea! Will try it out with rolled oats. :D

Kittykat Miyaw said...

My Jellybelly said that it's taste is like real congee, he likes it with fish sauce for that authentic taste, for me i tried it with salt as i'm limiting my salt intake. Hope you guys like it:)

Nathalie said...

Shared this with my friend who's into oatmeal. She was real happy and she's gonna try it daw ASAP. :)

Monika De Veas said...

Hmmm... I've never thought of this before. The milk-fruit-oatmeal combi is getting pretty boring. This is a very refreshing way to look at or eat oatmeal! Thanks for this post! :)

Kittykat Miyaw said...

Hi Nathalie, i do hope your friend will like it ;)

Kittykat Miyaw said...

Yes, i know what you mean, i'm a regular oatmeal eater myself.

ays said...

hi!i usually eat oatmeal sweet (ie. some sugar, bananas or berries). but this is a good idea, especially when i crave for lugaw here in singapore. thanks!

Sally Mae said...

i eat oatmeal once in a while for breakfast and i didn't know you can do this with it!thanks for sharing this post sis :)


Kittykat Miyaw said...

Hi Sis Ays, that's what i also do, eat sweet oatmeal. This one was just an improvisation :)

Kittykat Miyaw said...

Hi Sis Sally, perfect for cold days!

Kevin said...

I will definitely try this at home.

Kittykat Miyaw said...

Let me know how it goes for you Kevin.

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts DIVAS!